EM/Youth

Responsibility with the Talents

페이지 정보

작성자 카마리오한인연합감리교회 작성일22-07-17 02:16 조회654회 댓글0건

본문

Date: 7/15/22

Sermon Title: Responsibility with the Talents

Context: Matthew 25:14-30

(Mt 25:14) "Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his property to them.

(Mt 25:15) To one he gave five talents of money, to another two talents, and to another one talent, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey.

(Mt 25:16) The man who had received the five talents went at once and put his money to work and gained five more.

(Mt 25:17) So also, the one with the two talents gained two more.

(Mt 25:18) But the man who had received the one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money.

(Mt 25:19) "After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them.

(Mt 25:20) The man who had received the five talents brought the other five. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with five talents. See, I have gained five more.'

(Mt 25:21) "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

(Mt 25:22) "The man with the two talents also came. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with two talents; see, I have gained two more.'

(Mt 25:23) "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

(Mt 25:24) "Then the man who had received the one talent came. 'Master,' he said, 'I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed.

(Mt 25:25) So I was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.'

(Mt 25:26) "His master replied, 'You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed?

(Mt 25:27) Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.

(Mt 25:28) Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the ten talents.

(Mt 25:29) For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.

(Mt 25:30) And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

Preaching Note

1. Talent, ability

Jesus spoke about the kingdom of God in parables. The master go on his journey (verse 14), and he entrusts his servants with property according to their abilities (verse 15). One with five talents, one with two talents, and one with one talent (verse 15). The word 'Dallanteu' is 'talent' in English and Talanton in Greek. The main currency of Rome is the denarius, which is a silver coin weighing about 4 grams. This amount is equivalent to the daily wage of laborers. One talent is 6,000 denarii, is equivalent to the price of 6,000 days, 16 years of wages. If 1 denarius is $100, 1 talent is $600,000.

Q. What kinds of talent do you want?

2. Responsibility for Response

The person who received the five talents, went into business and made another five talents (verse 16). The person who received the two talents, also went into business and made another two talents. (verse 17) However, the person who received one talent, dug in the ground and hid (verse 18). Burying in the ground was a way to store treasures or money in those times. While the previous two servants did their best for the kingdom of God with the talents entrusted to them by God, another servant did not fulfill his responsibilities for the kingdom of God with the talents entrusted to him by God. Professor David Turner explains that this parable is a warning against irresponsibility, not fulfilling responsibilities for the kingdom of God with the talents that God has entrusted to them. “This parable… is a warning against the irresponsibility among the self-proclaimed disciples”

Q. How can you use your talent for the Kingdom of God?

3.  Pleasure

After a long time, the master returns and counts (verse 19). The person who received the five talents brings five more talents and says. “Lord, you have entrusted me with five talents, and behold, I have earned five more” (verse 20), says the master. "Well done! A good and faithful servant. Since you have been faithful over a few things, I will now entrust you with many things. Come, and rejoice with the master.” (verse 21) Those who fulfill their responsibilities for the kingdom of God with the talents entrusted by God will be happy with the Lord in the kingdom of God. The man who received the two talents said: “Master, you have entrusted me with two talents, and behold, I have earned two more” (verse 22), says the master. “Well done, good and faithful servant! Since you have been faithful over a few things, I will now entrust you with many things. Come, and have rejoicing with your master” (verse 23).

There is a big difference in numbers between the person who made 5 talents and the person who made 2 talents. But both enjoy the joy of the kingdom of God. The amounts are not matters in the kingdom of God. Professor David Turner explains that for Jesus, amount is not a matter, but loyalty to fulfilling responsibilities.

The one who received the one talent says: “Lord, I know that you are a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not saw” (verse 24). Behold, here is the money, take it” (verse 25). The one who received the one talent did not work for the kingdom of God. The master says “Cast this useless servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and grinding of teeth” (verse 30). Anyone who has received one talent will be cast out of the kingdom of God. It's not because he can't magnify much of the material. He buried his talents and did not do anything. He did nothing for his master and not for the kingdom of God. Eventually the master returned, and he was kicked out.

Q. What do you want to do in the future?

모바일 버전으로 보기