EM/Youth

Take My Yoke Upon You and Learn from Me

페이지 정보

작성자 카마리오한인연합감리교회 작성일22-07-30 20:34 조회614회 댓글0건

본문

Date: 7/24/22

Sermon Title: Take My Yoke Upon You and Learn from Me

Context: Matthew 11:28-30

(Matt 11: 28) "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

(Matt 11: 29) Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

(Matt 11: 30) For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Preaching Note

1. The religious leaders of Judaism did not practice love with a warm spirituality and made people tired by ruling people with the commandments and religious power. Today's Bible text, Matthew 11:28-30, Jesus invited to those who are weary of the commandments and religion to a world of rest.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” (verse 28). Jesus invites those who are weary and heavy burdened, come to him. The Jews were weary under the burden of the commandments. They say that we must keep the commandments to receive salvation and blessings, but it was difficult no matter how hard they tried. It was hard because they felt guilty for not keeping the commandments. The Jewish religious leaders claimed that they are holy people who kept the commandments and created religious power to condemn and rule over people.

Religion and faith did not give people joy and rest. It became a burden to people, made people hard, condemned people, and ruled over people by stating their weakness in not keeping the commandments. Living with a stigma as an unholy person was hard work.

Q. Have you ever been to feel burdened at church?

2. “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” (verse 29). The religious leaders of the Jews who made it difficult, condemned, and exhausted the people with the commandments were arrogant and authoritarian. “Everything they do is done for men to see: They make their phylacteries [a small leather box containing Hebrew texts on vellum, worn by Jewish men at morning prayer as a reminder to keep the law] wide and the tassels on their garments long;” (Matthew 23:5).

The Jewish religious leaders preferred high seats. “And they prefer to sit in high places at banquets and in high places in the synagogues” (Matthew 23:6). “He likes to be greeted in the marketplace and to be called Rabbi” (Matthew 23:7). Jesus, on the other hand, is meek. He is humble. ‘Meekness’ means ‘the state of taming the beast’. Jesus is the one who has been tamed by God and follows the will of God. He is aware to the heart of God.

The purpose of the yoke is to carry the load easily. When carrying loads, the yoke plays an important role. The yoke that Jesus gives is a new level of yoke that lightens our burdens and gives us rest. New Testament commentator Professor R. T. France explains that Jesus’ yoke is “learning.” Discipleship is a lifelong process of learning how to live according to God's requirements. However, unlike the teachings of the scribes, this learning does not make tire you out, but gives you 'resting your heart'”

Q. If you are working with Jesus, what would you like to learn?

3. “My yoke is easy, and my burden is light” (verse 30). If you take on the yoke of Jesus, learn from Him, and follow His teachings, your life will be comfortable, and your steps will be lighter. This is because the yoke of Jesus is rest, blessing, and salvation, unlike the commandments claimed by the Jewish religious leaders.

Q. Do you feel burdened about Jesus? 

모바일 버전으로 보기