EM/Youth

Judas Iscariot, the protagonist of the tragedy

페이지 정보

작성자 카마리오한인연합감리교회 작성일22-09-01 19:06 조회585회 댓글0건

본문

Date: 8/26/22

Sermon Title: Judas Iscariot, the protagonist of the tragedy

Context: Matthew 27:3-10

(Matt 27:3) When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty silver coins to the chief priests and the elders.

(Matt 27:4) "I have sinned," he said, "for I have betrayed innocent blood." "What is that to us?" they replied. "That's your responsibility."

(Matt 27:5) So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.

(Matt 27:6) The chief priests picked up the coins and said, "It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money."

(Matt 27:7) So they decided to use the money to buy the potter's field as a burial place for foreigners.

(Matt 27:8) That is why it has been called the Field of Blood to this day.

(Matt 27:9) Then what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: "They took the thirty silver coins, the price set on him by the people of Israel,

(Matt 27:10) and they used them to buy the potter's field, as the Lord commanded me."

Preaching Note  

1. One of the twelve disciples, Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, “If I hand Jesus over to you, what are you going to give me?” (Matthew 26:15). The chief priests gave Judah thirty pieces of silver. In the end, the chief priests and the elders of the people decided to kill Jesus, bound Jesus, and handed Him over to the governor Pilate (Matthew 27:1).

When Judas sees Jesus being condemned, he repents of his evil deeds of betraying Jesus and handing him over to the chief priests. (Verse 3). He did not repent, he regretted it. Regret is a change of feelings, and Repentance is a change of being and behavior that is completely redirected to God. 

Judas knows that Jesus was innocent. It is “evil” for Judas and the high priests to condemn an ​​innocent person as a sinner. Deuteronomy makes it evil to condemn the innocent. “If you say, ‘Cursed is he who takes a bribe and kills an innocent man,’ let all the people say ‘Amen’” (Deuteronomy 27:25).

Judas regretted of what he has done and returns the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders (verse 3). Thirty shekels of silver, according to Exodus, was the ransom for a slave. “If an ox takes a male or female slave and causes him to die, the owner of the ox shall give thirty shekels of silver to the master of the slave, and the ox shall be stoned to death.” (Exodus 21:32).

Q.1 Have you ever had regrets in your life?

2. Judas told the chief priests that he has done evil. “I have sinned by betraying innocent blood” (verse 4). The high priests are not interested in getting their money back. They are not interested in Judas either. Although condemning the innocent Jesus is evil, it is important to condemn Jesus. The chief priests say to Judas. “What does that have to do with us? It's your problem."

After throwing the silver money into the temple, Judas went away and hung himself to death (verse 5). Judas' suicide shows hopeless despair, not an expression of repentance. Repentance is manifested indeed and described as fruits. The suicide of Judas is a violation of the sixth commandment.”

As the chief priests gather the silver money, they say: “This is the price of blood, and you must not put it in the treasury of the temple” (verse 6). They think that the 30 shekels of silver that the high priests received from Judah is money which God hates because they were paid in exchange for blood. So, everyone agrees that you can't put it in the temple vault. Seeing the high priests could not put 30 shekels of silver into the temple vault, the high priests knew that Jesus was innocent, and that it was evil to condemn Jesus who was innocent as a sinner. The high priests decided to use the money to buy land and use it as a cemetery for strangers (verse 7). Because it was a field bought with the blood of Jesus, the field was called “field of blood.” (verse 8).

Q.2 What do you think is evil?

3. The words spoken through the prophet Jeremiah were fulfilled. “They took thirty pieces of silver, the ransom of the man the children of Israel had paid for, and gave them to buy a potter's field, just as the Lord had instructed me.” (verses 9-10).

‘30 pieces of silver’ reflected Zechariah 11:12-13 and the ‘innocent blood’ seems to reflect Jeremiah 22:17. “I told them. ‘If you think it is good, give me my wages, but if you do not intend to give, stop.’ Then they gave me thirty pieces of silver as my wages.” (Zechariah 11:12). “But your eyes and mind are focused only on greed for unrighteous gains, on the shedding of innocent blood, and on oppressing and exploiting the people.” (Jeremiah 22:17). The price of the blood of Jesus creates a heaven for innocent people.

Q.3 Have you ever turned to Jesus? 

모바일 버전으로 보기