EM/Youth

Do You Want to Get Well

페이지 정보

작성자 카마리오한인연합감리교회 작성일22-10-26 16:22 조회684회 댓글0건

본문

Date: 10/23/22

Sermon Title: Do You Want to Get Well

Context: John 5:1-9

(John 5:1) After these things there was a feast of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.

(John 5:2) Now there is in Jerusalem by the sheep gate a pool, which is called in Hebrew Bethesda, having five porticoes.

(John 5:3) In these lay a multitude of those who were sick, blind, lame, and withered, [waiting for the moving of the waters;

(John 5:4) for an angel of the Lord went down at certain seasons into the pool and stirred up the water; whoever then first, after the stirring up of the water, stepped in was made well from whatever disease with which he was afflicted.]

(John 5:5) A man was there who had been ill for thirty-eight years.     

(John 5:6) When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he had already been a long time in that condition, He said to him, "Do you wish to get well?"

(John 5:7) The sick man answered Him, "Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up, but while I am coming, another steps down before me."

(John 5:8) Jesus said to him, "Get up, pick up your pallet and walk."

(John 5:9) Immediately the man became well, and picked up his pallet and began to walk. Now it was the Sabbath on that day.

Preaching Note

Today’s scripture is the representative ministry of Jesus. Jesus showed diverse ministries. Teaching the Bible, preaching the Word of God, Delivering the gospel, and especially healing.

At Bethesda, a patient had been ill with his leg for thirty-eight years. He wanted to go into the Bethesda, but no one put him into the pool. Patients who could not go to the temple were dismissed from society. To enter the temple, he longed for a cure for 38 years.

Jesus knew he was in there for a long time. Jesus came to him directly. Jesus asked him, “Do you want to get well?” The sick man said, “yes my lord”. Jesus said, “Get up, and walk.” Immediately, the man became well. The ministry of Through the healing ministry of Jesus, the patient confessed that Jesus is Lord.

The patient was dismissed because of his leg. As he could not enter the temple, people thought he cannot receive salvation. However, even though he could not go to the temple, he confessed that Jesus is Lord and was saved by the Word of him.

The ministry of Jesus does not care about the situation of people. The healing of Jesus comes to Christians directly. The Word of Jesus, “Do you want to get well”, comes alive in the hearts of Christians.

I have many identities. Pastor kid, an international student, foreigner, Korean, and Kift, who is meeting with Americans. This situation made me challenged a lot, because of the awkward language, and culture.

However, regardless of these circumstances, as a Hyunjae, I receive healing through the time I spend with you. As an identity, Christian, while spending time with you, I am realizing that spiritual connection is beyond language and culture. As a Christian, when I read the Bible with you, I am realizing that the Word of God is alive. Beyond the culture and language, I can feel the word, “Do you want to get well”, is alive again.

I remember the conversation with you. I am Korean American. I am not Korean, but at the same time, I am different from Americans. As I mentioned to you on Friday’s Bible study, Korean Americans can be good Christians with balanced rationality and emotion.

Nevertheless, if you face a challenging situation as a Korean American, I hope you get well through today’s Scripture, as a Christian. Just as I was healed through the spiritual time with you, I am sure that you also get well. Our culture and language are different. However, we are the same as Christians. As a Christian, I wish you well. “Do you want to get well”, “Do you want to get well”.

모바일 버전으로 보기