EM/Youth

Difference Between Adam and Zacchaeus

페이지 정보

작성자 카마리오한인연합감리교회 작성일22-12-09 05:50 조회580회 댓글0건

본문

Date: 12/04/22

Sermon Title: Difference Between Adam and Zacchaeus

Context: Genesis 3:8-12, Luke 19:1-10

(Ge 3:8) Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden.

(Ge 3:9) But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?"

(Ge 3:10) He answered, "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid."

(Ge 3:11) And he said, "who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?"

(Ge 3:12) The man said, "The woman you put here with me--she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it. “

(Lk 19:1) Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through.

(Lk 19:2) A man there by the name of Zacchaeus; was a chief tax collector and was wealthy.

(Lk 19:3) He wanted to see who Jesus was but being a short man, he could not, because of the crowd.

(Lk 19:4) So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him since Jesus was coming that way.

(Lk 19:5) When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today."

(Lk 19:6) So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.

(Lk 19:7) All the people saw this and began to mutter, "He has gone to be the guest of a 'sinner.' "

(Lk 19:8) But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, "Look, Lord! Here and now

(Lk 19:9) I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount."

(Lk 19:10) Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham.

Preaching Note  

1. God created the world and loved it. God creates humans as beings to rule the good world. God makes humans in his image because he must rule the world. God looks at people and says. “I liked it very much.” (Ge 1:31). God is satisfied and rests. (2:1-3).

The Garden of Eden created by God is investigating Adam’s sins the tree of life and the knowledge of good and evil. God appoints humans to be managers. But God commands Adam not to eat fruits from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. (3:3). But Adam rejects God's command and does what he wants. He eats fruits from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. He wanted to be like God, not to follow God's commands. He wanted to judge good and evil. (3:5).

Adam sinned and hid from the face of God. (Verse 8). He tries to cover up his sins. This is 'hypocrisy'. God calls Adam. “Where are you?” (v 9). God wanted to be with Adam. “I hid for fear” (v 10). Adam was afraid to be with God. God is investigating Adam's sin. “Did you eat?” (v 11). God is investigating Adam’s sin to bring about an honest and sincere confession. God is trying to lead sinners to repentance. So, he said that Jesus came to seek the lost. (Lk 19:1-10).

Adam does not admit sin by saying, “I have sinned to death.” He blames the woman for his sins, he is not responsible. He indeed ate, but he says that he is not responsible for himself, the woman is responsible. “The woman God had matched with me to live, gave me the fruit of that tree, and I ate it.” (v 12). And he blames God for sending him a woman. God could not entrust the Garden of Eden to such a hypocritical and irresponsible person. God sends Adam out of his Garden of Eden.

Q.1 Have you ever lied?

2. Jesus enters Jericho. (v. 1). Jericho is the second largest city in Judea with a population of 50,000. There lived a man named Zacchaeus in Jericho. He's the customs officer, and he's rich. (v. 2). At the time under the rule of the Roman Empire, Jews viewed tax collectors as betrayers. The tax collectors were vicious to achieve their goals. People avoided contact with tax collectors.

Zacchaeus wasn't just interested in seeing Jesus, he wanted to know who Jesus was. (v. 3). He is short and climbs a sycamore tree to see Jesus. (v. 4). Jesus walks under the tree where Zacchaeus is climbing. Jesus sees Zacchaeus who wants to see Jesus. Jesus speaks to Zacchaeus. “Zacchaeus, come down. Today I must stay at your house.” (v. 5). For the event of salvation, Jesus wants to have fellowship with Zacchaeus. Zacchaeus rejoices and brings Jesus into his house. (v. 6). People gossip and say. “He went in to stay in the house of a sinner.” (v. 7). Gossipers are hypocrites who judge themselves to be good and Zacchaeus evil. They are not interested in fellowship with Jesus.

Zacchaeus says to Jesus. “Look, Lord. I will give half of my possessions to the poor. And if I have taken anything by force from anyone, I will repay fourfold.” (v. 8). Zacchaeus does not hide his sins. He reveals all his truth. And he takes responsibility for his past. He confesses that he will give half of his possessions to the poor. He is going beyond tithing offerings. He confesses that he will pay back four times what he stole. He wants to pay back the taxes he has earned unfairly. He is following the law. “If any man steals an ox or sheep and slaughters or sells it, he shall pay him back five oxen for one ox and four sheep for one sheep.” (Ex 22:1).

Zacchaeus admits his sin and takes responsibility. An economic exploiter turned into a servant of the poor with material possessions. Zacchaeus admits his sin and repents. He is a sinner, but he is a sincere man.

Q.2 Have you ever told the truth in the game Truth or Dare?

3. Seeing his repentance and sincerity, Jesus proclaims salvation. “Today salvation has come to this house. This man is also a descendant of Abraham. The Son of Man has come to seek and to save what was lost.” (vs. 9-10). “Salvation” means that sins are forgiven and the relationship with God is restored.

Jesus calls Zacchaeus “Son of Abraham”. The very person who honestly admits their sins, takes true responsibility for their sins, and wants to have fellowship with Jesus is worthy of the kingdom of God, and he becomes a family. Salvation is restoration to the community of God's people. Jesus seeks Zacchaeus, and Zacchaeus does not hide and answer. Jesus is fulfilling his mission of coming to seek and save what was lost.

Although Adam and Zacchaeus were both sinners, there was a crucial difference between them. Adam was a hypocrite who refused to admit sin and shun God, but Zacchaeus was a sincere man who honestly acknowledged his sins, took responsibility for his past and sought fellowship with Jesus. As a result, Adam is expelled from Eden, and Zacchaeus enters the world of salvation.

Q.3 Have you ever shared your secret with God while praying?

모바일 버전으로 보기